Corrupt Data on Tivo?

Joe Fleck tornado at m...
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:30:43 -0700

Hello all,

Long time, no talk. I've been trying in vain to get some decent extractions
off my tivo. A little history:

8/2001 - Tivo ExtractStream-> nc on PC working great
10/2001 - Added second HD (80GB+20GB) to tivo
That week, coincidentally, the 2.5 upgrade hit, and VBR was turned on
(either by me or by default)
At that point I couldn't get a decent extraction. I figured it was VBR. I
turned VBR off on the tivo, grabbed a show, and tried to extract. No dice.
Getting errors galore in the SplitStream on my PC.

11/2001 (out of frustration) Put tivo extraction away for a few months to
play with new baby

04/2002 Tivo is full and needs to be cleaned off with old videos collecting
dust (that need extraction. Decide to try again. With the (newer) Tivo App
tool, try to pull off recent show - no dice - VBR is on for some reason.
Kill VBR. Record 5 shows. Extract with Tivo App tool. BINGO! we have
success. Again, blame VBR. Couple of weeks go by. Try to extract/split again
with Tivo App (yes, VBR is still off) - you guessed it - errors galore
(technically, in Tivo App it crashes out with the Send/Donšt send bug report
to Msoft). I feel like I'm losing my mind.... I've also just pulled off the
tystream with TivoApp and splitting it with zss4.exe but get a fatal error
about 75% through most of my test shows.

I've read (I think in this list somewhere at some point) that once you add
the second drive you can get some bizarre errors during extraction... Is
that the case? Do any of you have any suggestions I can test?

Thanks.

Joe