[Extractstream] Yahoo listings...

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:07:00 -0400

Well, dudez & dudettez...

I checked out the Yahoo archives, and while it might be good to replicate
them to make sure they never go away, they're no good for harvesting email
addresses of us loyal Tivo fans as the addresses are munged, and it won't
be easy, as it basically needs a web browser with cookie capabilities...
telnetting to groups.yahoo.com port 80 & piping the output to a file
doesn't look possible, unless there's someone out there smart enough to
fake cookies in a telnet script... :-(

This is what I got:    <<EOF

C:\!ES>telnet groups.yahoo.com 80
Trying 66.218.66.240...
Connected to groups1.vip.scd.yahoo.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /group/ExtractStream/message/1?source=1
Aren't you supposed to be somewhere else?

Connection closed by foreign host.

EOF

With a few (20ish) volunteers, we could get all the posts in a few days,
but it'd be { "browse to the archives, get msg. 1, highlight info,
cut&past, click next }...

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
tivo@30below.com