Extraction from a "netless " Sony DirecTiVo SAT60

redmr2 redmr2 at h...
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:34:09 -0000

This is somewhat of a newbie question, but I can't seem to find a
good answer anywhere else .. even after looking throught the archives.

I have a Sony SAT60 ... 2.5.1, 40gb single virgin system. I really
don't want to jump into the cost of a TivoNet board yet .. which
looks to be a royal PITA for the DirecTivo's. I have successfully
removed the drive and poked around the root and var partitions under
Mandrake 8.2 and managed to get mfstools to give me a listing of the
MFS dirs .. and the all important backup .. just in case (compressed
200mb!)

I recompiled a static extractstream-0.2 to run under the Kaz Linux
tools cd kernel .. and moded it recognize hdb10 instead of hda10.
Well, it seems to try to work, but it outputs a "sector signature
failed" and a sector dump. I'm assuming it's because of the es
program reading raw Motorola formatted data into Intel backwards byte
integers thus screwing up all math calcs.

My questions are these:
* Has anyone moded the Mandrake 8.2 "mac.c" and "mac.h" fs/partition
code to match those of the moded genhd.c? I can do it, but why
reinvent the wheel. Or how about add a TiVo partition module.
* Has anyone managed to extract a stream from a TiVo disk NOT using
the TiVo itself .. ie, no httpd servers to get fsid's (can you use
mfstools mls?), using intel linux, etc...

Am I nuts?

-D