TiVo freeze with mfs_export

mikertx mike at i...
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 04:46:28 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., Roger Merchberger <zmerch7@y...> wrote:

> Does it lock, requiring the "pull-the-plug" special reset button, or
> does it reboot on it's own?

Pull-the-plug.

> > By sometimes
> > I mean that I may extract two tystreams fine and halfway
> > through the third it will freeze or sometimes it will
> > freeze on the first stream. I have tried running mfs_export
> > on tht tivo and writing to a nfs partition as well as
> > running vserver on the tivo and initiating the mfs_export
> > from the linux box. Either way I experience tivo lock-ups.
> >
> > I'm running 2.5.1 on a Phillips SA unit with an upgraded hard
> > disk.
>
> How bigga disk?

It's an 80GB 5400 rpm drive that I replaced my original drive
with, so there is still just one drive in the system.

> Also, once your tivo reboots correctly, does that third stream
> extract correctly later on, or does it die in the same (or similar)
> spot every time?

The failing tystream will often extract fine on the next try. (In
fact I worked my way through extracting Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
for the kids this way.)

> Other than the usual stuff (OS getting kobongoed) if you have a very
> large 7200RPM drive as your upgrade, mebbe your power supply's a
> little dodgy?
> Without more info, it's hard to tell if you could have a hardware or
> software problem... include everything that sounds "out of the
> ordinary" no matter how minor, and we'll see what we can do to get
> you up & running.

Let's see what other details I can think of,
- recording on High quality
- VBR turned off
- fails with or without other custom services running, like tivoweb,
tivoftpd, nfs, etc.
- when freeze occurs tivo no longer responds to ping, this make
me think its more than just MyWorld dieing.
- live tv being played on the TV freezes too.
- the recording light has been on every time I've checked
during a freeze.

Could it be related to some scheduled event on the TiVo,
like say, a recording starting, channel change, etc?

Thanks for the help,
--
Mike