[ExtractStream] Re: DVD writing

David Gerdes dpgerdes at r...
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:26:39 -0600 (CST)

I see the same thing. On two different Tivo units, one running 1.3 and
one 2.01 I get glitches in my streams. Some are very minor, some are many
seconds of garbage. Any glitch seems enough to screw up the final stream
when mplexing them back together.

Most glitches are visible both on the stream and played directly on Tivo.

This is why we need tools to keep the streams in sync when they
are separated and rebuilt. I think spliting and rejoining synced
streams should be easy enough. But then re-encoding both the
video and audio and trying to keep them this sync data seems like a
monumental task.

I am starting to think of my Tivo as just a VCR for temporary recording
of shows. I am thinking about looking at some of these PC based capture
cards to be able to start with a known good stream.

I currently have my Linux drive full of TyStreams that I don't know what
to do with. I am going to start looking to see what is the cheapest
large scale archival medium out there today so I can hang on to the streams
until we have tools to keep them in sync. I can always use playitsam to
replay them back onto the Tivo in the interim. I do like that program.

--
David