DVD writing

billyb111b billyb111b at y...
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:52:43 -0000

I dont think it necessarily the TiVo getting it wrong, but
Extractstream not nailing the file-sector relationship. I have
noticed that if you have a "fragmented" tivo, with some Medium, a
little High, and some Best recordings thrown in. ES will usually
screw up at the beginning and end of each file part, usually only a
chunk or two, but since the chunk format does not always have the
same audio and video together, its enough to throw off synch.
Sometimes TyConvert can plow through the errors and you'll get tiny
pieces of other shows (splitstream can show you these). Sometimes
Tyconvert will completly barf.. who knows how much the streams are
off.

This is all speculation on my part, but I recently restored a backup
and there is NO TivoMadd Partitions, No blessed 2nd drive
partitions, and all recording is at Best, and I have yet to get a
bad timecode and/or chunk in a stream... this is only a few days of
research though...

billy

--- In ExtractStream@y..., David Gerdes <dpgerdes@r...> wrote:

> I see the same thing. On two different Tivo units, one running
1.3 and
> one 2.01 I get glitches in my streams. Some are very minor, some
are many
> seconds of garbage. Any glitch seems enough to screw up the final
stream
> when mplexing them back together.
>
> Most glitches are visible both on the stream and played directly
on Tivo.

> This is why we need tools to keep the streams in sync when they
> are separated and rebuilt. I think spliting and rejoining
synced
> streams should be easy enough. But then re-encoding both the
> video and audio and trying to keep them this sync data seems like
> monumental task.
>
> I am starting to think of my Tivo as just a VCR for temporary
recording
> of shows. I am thinking about looking at some of these PC based
capture
> cards to be able to start with a known good stream.
>
> I currently have my Linux drive full of TyStreams that I don't
know what
> to do with. I am going to start looking to see what is the
cheapest
> large scale archival medium out there today so I can hang on to
the streams
> until we have tools to keep them in sync. I can always use
playitsam to
> replay them back onto the Tivo in the interim. I do like that
program.

> Michael Patterson wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to add my personal audio problems to this list :)
> >
> > I've been working ont he DVD writing thing for some time, and
I've gotten to