DVD writing

billyb111b billyb111b at y...
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:39:54 -0000

Well Yes.. and no

I recently restored a backup from mfstools, and now I record
EVERYTHING at Best Q, and quess what? no more bad chunks, no more
hiccups, no more timecode skips, just clean ty streams that convert
into clean mpeg streams.. this is good, synch is good... so here
is what I do.

ty stream -> mpeg w/ tyconvert
mpeg (vid)-> d2v frameserve w/DVD2Avi
mpeg (aud)-> mpa w/dvd2avi
mpa -> wav w/winamp
mpa file has time offset reported from DVD2avi in ms (usually
negative) so I chop of the xx number of ms from start of wave with
Wave Splitter.
d2v and wav -> TMPEGenc
fix green bar, resive to 720x480, cut to first commercial break.
save as tmpeg projct (1a.tpr)
cut from end of comm 1 to start of comm 2, save as 1b.tpr, etc...
convert tpr's -> avi's w/ VFAPIconvert
start mpeg encoder (I use CCE.. its super fast) and add each part
avi
encode at VBR 2 or 3 pass (depending on time) converting the audio
up to 48khz (also can be done by tmpeg or Winamp, not sure who does
it best)
write finished mpeg to DVD! using authoring software of choice.

clean extracted streams yield clean synch-problem free streams.
leaving in commercials gives a much simpler workflow, but I like em
out. (actually I like to encode the commercials, but put them on a
different title on the DVD, I figure they will be fun to watch in 10-
15 years) Ultimately, it would be nice to edit the commercials on
the Tivo (or skip them alltogether.. cough... replay) but I dont
mind the extra work for now...

Now the only problem is no TivoApp.. I have to extract by the old
fasioned way.. and there is something off with the mfs data.. but
Im not touching it, if it works, it works...

Tmpegenc does NOT do a great job resizing, but its the only way I
can do batches of files to encode.. unless... nevermind.

I love my DVD writer, it works great.. and the blanks get cheaper
by the week.

billy