[ExtractStream] Need kickstart with video extraction

Gary Boudreaux gary at v...
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:10:31 -0600

Roger,

I really appreciate the time you spent trying to help me. I hope you
don't mind my followup questions (embedded in your responses):

>If you used the TivoNet boot floppy to set everything up, there
>*should* be a program on the Tivo called "tivoftpd" which you can run
>to transfer files to/from your Tivo. You'll have to find it [[ tivo
>at home, me at work, firewall closed off at wifey's request - she got
>rather upset with me when I started changing the TV channels from
>work once - she thought she was going nuts. ;-) ]]
>
>The directory is prolly /var/hack or something like it - 'cd' your
>way around the Tivo filesystem to get yourself familiar with where
>programs are. When you find it, cd to that directory and type this:
>
>./tivoftpd &
>
>This will start the tivo FTP daemon, which you can use ftp client
>software on another machine to [up/down]load software to the Tivo.
>This is how you get extractstream / sendstream / other to your tivo.

Why do you need the "./" if you're already in that directory? What is
the "&" at the end of the line do?

>IMHO, it's best to make a separate directory for your other
>software[s] so it's easiest for you to remember - like
>/var/sendstream for sendstream, /var/webserv for the web server
>daemons you'll need to get the FSID's of the programs you want to
>extract.
>
>Once you upload your sendstream program, cd to that directory in your
>terminal and type: chmod 755 sendstream to set Linux's file
>permissions to executable. Do the same with the httpd daemons (web
>server daemons). When you're done xferring files, kill the tivoftpd
>daemon, as there's no security built-in, and the fewer proggies
>you've got running on that smokin' 53Mhz embedded PPC chip, the
>better. You'll now want to start the httpd daemon, so 'cd' to the
>directory you put the web server program in, and type ./httpd.tcl &
>(or whatever the filename is called.)

How do I kill the tivoftpd daemon? And you mention httpd daemons,
implying that there is more than 1 of them... why would I need more
than 1?

>Now start up a browser and browse to http://10.1.1.100 (or whatever
>IP address you set up your tivo to) and click on Now Showing.
>Depending on the web server program, you'll need to look up the show
>you want to xfer, and it'll give you the FSID's for that show. These
>you need for ExtractStream / Sendstream to xfer that show.

I was able to do this and start a xfer. I wasn't sure how long it
would take, so I foolishly started doing ls commands to see if the
files were there. On the 2nd or 3rd one, it didn't return any
results... I still didn't see any sign in the browser that the xfer
had completed (is there a message to let me know when it's done?)...
and I didn't hear any drive activity, so after an hour, I powered
down the Tivo and started it back up. Now I can't even find the old
/var/hack directory at all. And I'm not sure what other files may
have disappeared. Have you ever heard of this happening? Should I
just reload all the files?

Thanks for all your help.

Gary