[ExtractStream] Need kickstart with video extraction

Josh Harding theamigo42 at y...
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:36:15 -0800 (PST)

--- Gary Boudreaux <gary@v...> wrote:

> Why do you need the "./" if you're already in that directory? What is
>
> the "&" at the end of the line do?

This is getting a little OT for this group, but there's prolly enough
people here that would like to know why so I'll answer it.

Quick one first: The ampersand at the end runs it in the background so
you get your shell prompt back and don't have to wait for the program
to finish. Although, in this case, it's not needed since ftpd for the
tivo backgrounds itself.

The "./" tells your shell to look in your current directory for the
program. DOS always looks in your current dir first (that's fine on a
single-user system). On unix, that's not a good idea. Joe User
creates a program in his home directory called "ls" and asks the admin
"I'm having trouble with a file in my home dir, can you take a look".
Well, the first thing the admin's gonna run in that dir is "ls" to see
what's there... if it looked in the current dir for the ls command
first then the admin would have run the user's program as root without
knowing it. The short answer: security

On the TiVo, this doesn't matter since it's embedded linux and isn't
multi-user. If you want to add "." to your path, go ahead.

=====
--The Amigo