[ExtractStream] Need kickstart with video extraction

Mike Schoenborn mjs at h...
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:20:20 -0500

>How do I kill the tivoftpd daemon?

The "ps" command gives process status. If you give ps the options
"fax", you get a list of all that is going on in the box ("ps --help"
is helpful, or at least interesting). The number in the leftmost column
is the Process ID, and this value can be passed to the "kill" command.
For instance, if the output of "ps fax" included this line...

110 ? SW 0:00 (tivoftpd)

Then to kill the ftp daemon, do this...

bash-2.02# kill 110

>I was able to do this and start a xfer. I wasn't sure how long it
>would take, so I foolishly started doing ls commands to see if the
>files were there. On the 2nd or 3rd one, it didn't return any
>results... I still didn't see any sign in the browser that the xfer
>had completed (is there a message to let me know when it's done?)...
>and I didn't hear any drive activity, so after an hour, I powered

I'm a bit confused as to what you were transfering and in which
direction... You say you were looking for results with ls, so I
assume you were sending things to the Tivo. But then you mention
the browser, which hints that you were taking things _from_ the
Tivo. But then again, I'm easily confused.

>down the Tivo and started it back up. Now I can't even find the old
>/var/hack directory at all. And I'm not sure what other files may
>have disappeared. Have you ever heard of this happening? Should I
>just reload all the files?

The only time I've heard of this happening (but have never experienced
it first hand), is when Tivo HQ upgrades your machine's software.
They do this by loading the new software onto the "other" partition,
then make that partition the "current" one. In this case, all your
files would still be in a /var/hack directory, but that /var/hack
would be on the "unused" partition; the "current" operating partition
would have a "/var", but not the "hack". Unless you are comfortable
with mounting and umounting and all that, it's probably easiest to
just put all your files back on there with ftp.

Actually, I've heard of it happening another way too, but I'm sketchy
on the details... I believe that on DirecTivo's the software upgrade
process goes an extra step and, if it detects that somebody has been
messing with things, will wipe out directories and recreate them with
only the official Tivo software. Again, this never happened to me,
so I can't speak from experience.

(I'm new here so I don't know the customs, but if this sort of thing
is off-topic, then the search engine and folks over at Tivo Underground
www.tivocommunity.com would be a good resource. Just be careful to
-never- utter "ExtractStream" or they'll start throwing rotten
tomatoes at you.)