Imaging DTivo Drive A to a new Drive without loosing movies?

Ray Miller Raym at s...
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:57:06 -0400

I have a question about my DSR6000 DirecTivo unit, here is the story
leading up to why It heated up about 2 months ago, all I could smell is
burn electronics and the video was distorted severely and it just made a
hissing sound on the speakers. I immediately shut it down and called
Tivo, just to find out my warranty had expired one week previous. They
told me to unplug it and let it alone, that it may cause a fire if I
leave it plugged in. (by the way, this is before I even mod'ed it at
all!) A couple of days later I decided to hook it back up and try to
see if I could find the problem (I went to college for
electronics\computer technology, but hadn't done the electronics side of
it for a while!), but to my surprise it worked again. Just as if I
never had a problem with it! I then decided, since I didn't have a
warranty any more, to mod it and install Xtreme. When I went to install
the Xtreme, I had to remove the drive and install it my computer; that
is when I discovered that my computer's BIOS would not see my HD
(Quantum Fireball 40GB) I changed jumpers and did everything but nothing
worked. Finally I dug out an old HP Brio computer and tried it again;
it worked! I put it back in the Tivo and I finally had a bash prompt.
All seemed well for several weeks, until I received my Turbonet cards in
the mail and I need to remove the drive again to install the drivers
from the CD they had on their site. I must have tried for several
hours, but could not get the BIOS to recognized the drive, it would just
freeze when it auto detected it. I even tried manually assigning its
LZ, Comp, etc., with no success. I jumped on Maxtor's site (they are
not doing the RMA and work for Quantum) and discovered that the drive
was still under warranty; well, I received the drive and this finally
leads me to my question.....

How can I image the drive from my old "A" drive to a brand new "A"
drive... same size, same type of drive, etc?
Would Ghost or Drive Image work?
Has anyone done this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to loose all
of my movies!! I will be able to slowly extract them and get them to
CD, but I don't have enough time before I need to send back the old
drive before they bill me $250 for the new one!!

Thanx,
Ray