Imaging DTivo Drive A to a new Drive without loosing movies?

celledge2 celledge2 at y...
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:18:34 -0000

First off, someone correct me if this will not work on a DirecTivo
Unit!!

I recently did this on my stand alone unit. Once you get your drive
recognized, you should be able to use the Tivo boot CD (or floppy) to
duplicate the drive. This is outlined in the Hinsdale FAQ found here:

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

Example: dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb bs=32k (make sure you have the
correct devices for your setup)

I upgraded my factory drive to a 40GB drive and added a second 40GB
drive and I kept all of my recordings. Depending on the speed of the
pc you use to do this, it may take a while. It took around 30
minutes on my 1.4Ghz Athlon and I had over 6 hours of videos.

Chris

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "Ray Miller" <Raym@s...> wrote:
> I have a question about my DSR6000 DirecTivo unit, here is the story
> leading up to why It heated up about 2 months ago, all I could
smell is
> burn electronics and the video was distorted severely and it just
made a
> hissing sound on the speakers. I immediately shut it down and
called
> Tivo, just to find out my warranty had expired one week previous.
They