[ExtractStream] Re: Can Anyone Walk me Through Getting ExtractStream to Work

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:54:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- rickmccl71 <rickmccl@e...> wrote:

> Hi Merch, I love the webpage. I'm on a rampage today learning all
> about DTivo extracting. Two questions:
> 1.What about this scrambling I've heard about? You don't mention
> noscramble on your page. does dvd2avi take care of it, or is it a
> non-issue at this time?

As mentioned on the webpage, I have a stand-alone Philips Tivo -
noscramble.o is a non-issue with standalones, as the stream isn't
encrypted. The DTivos work a little differently - they just directly
record the encrypted digital channel data then unscramble it on the
fly. I've never tinkered with a DTivo (I'm a Dish man, myself...) so
my knowledge is just what I've gleaned from others here on the list.

> 2. When you tried 24fps (NTSC film) had you enabled "3:2 pulldown
> on
> playback" in TMPGEnc? (I've a lot more experience with MPEG than
> Tivo... :)

I would doubt it. If memory serves (which it rarely does... ;-)
jdiner mentioned that to me in a post as well, but I've not had a lot
of time for tinkering lately (barely have enough time to do
extracting...) Until I got a Tivo, the only thing I knew about MPEG
was what the initials stood for... ;-) I've been a Linux geek for
almost 8 years now, tho... so when my wife wanted a PVR (the Tivo's
actually *hers* :-) I said "it's a Tivo or nothing." I like having
stuff that I might have a snowball's chance in Hades of repairing, if
it were to ever break.

Maybe if I get a chance, I'll tinker with that this weekend -- if it
keeps raining, I won't be able to do the outside stuff I was supposed
to do...

Laterz,Roger "Merch" Merchberger