[ExtractStream] Re: 3.0 & extraction & Mac OS X

Matthew Barr mbarr at m...
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:29:27 -0400

Just to post an update -

Following knanlohy <k_yahoo@r...> advice, vlc .41 *DOES*
work fine on my system. I've got Quicktime 6 preview installed, but that
shouldn't make a difference, as it only adds in MPEG-4, not 2. End Result:
Quicktime supports MPEG 1 & 4 (in the future.)

There is a prebuilt binary (.dmg) file of vlc, as a cocoa app, which works
wonderfully on 10.1.5.

The diff file posted before, (again, by knanlohy) when applied via patch to
tyc, makes tyc perfect. I'm not too picky a viewer- I just wanted it to
*work*. As a bonus, I can now view SVCD from random sources without
trouble..

In order to extract data from the tivo, I've got a version of ExtractStream,
and sendstream. Both seem to work fine. I use nc to send the data to the
mac. (FYI- NC is amazing for other uses.. I can't believe I never new about
it!)

In order to get the FSID's, I just get the data from NowShowing.tcl as XML.
I believe it's part of TivoApp. I'm sure there are a billion better ways to
get that, but it does work. I don't know if there are revisions to the
TivoWeb project that provide the FSIDs for 3.0 yet.. That might be the
easiest way, eventually.

However, I'm starting to look into porting the functionallity of TivoApp.
Not sure what it was originally written in, but the fundemental ideas are
simple enough: layer a gui on command line utils... I'll have to see about
this in future.. (Me? Developer? Who'da thought?)

/\/\

Matthew Barr mailto:mbarr@m...
AIM: MBarr1244 ICQ: 22130424
Hm: (212) 961-1083 M:(646) 765-6878
PGP Key Fingerprint = 35DC DC87 4F38 2E80 F327 2B50 FD82 A2CB CB80 80F3