[OT] Re: [ExtractStream] Alternate TV listing options

Josh Harding theamigo42 at y...
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:50:27 -0800 (PST)

I know it's getting OT for this list, but wanted to reply.

--- STUFTOYS <fontpro@u...> wrote:
> i think Tivo will start loosing a lot of customers with this. By the
> way we have 4 tivos. I'm paying more per year for Tivo service than I
> paid for my Tivo.

I agree that the price increase is too high. If enough people find an
alternate source, TiVo will have to change their subscription strategy.
Stealing service would be hacking it so that one TiVo re-sends guide
data to other unsub'd units. But what you propose is not stealing,
you're just choosing an alternate provider. TiVo made this an option
by not requiring service to be purchased with the unit. You're free to
purchase the unit from TiVo and service elsewhere.

TiVo does do more than just guide data:
- Software updates
- Time sync
- Track your usage

Since they sell our collective usage data to advertisers, that should
keep our subscription cost down (but apparently they didn't see it that
way).

If a workable alternative, cheaper source of guide data becomes
available, I think TiVo would be best off to change future unit
subscription sales. If they don't want to lose customers to alternate
guide data sources, they can do what Replay does and sell a lifetime
subscription with the unit and not leave you any choice.

I suspect the price change was more of a motivation to move people to
lifetime subscriptions. With the lifetime price going from 20X monthly
to 25X monthly, they've just adjusted it back to taking 20 months to
make lifetime worth the cost.

=====
--The Amigo