UK PAL TiVo Extraction

kill1967 johngibb at c...
Tue, 21 May 2002 16:02:47 -0000

Having burned my first REAL DVD, I can now consider my self an expert :-)

BTW THIS IS FOR UK PAL TIVO

What works for me is...

Use tivoapp v2.2 to extract the raw ty streams from Tivo.
NOTE - I'm using the bundled Extractstream with tivoapp 2.2.

Once you've got your .ty file (note : trying to pull them off in
individual chunks didn't seem to work) run it through TyConverStream
1.3 to create the .m2v and .m2a files and redirect (>) the output
messages to a log file (you'll need that later).

When it's finished, check the log file of the output. Have a look at
the difference between Audio and Video timestamps. Subtract the Audio
timestamp from the Video timestamp if it's + (measured in hundredths
of a second) then audio has to be moved forward, if negative then it
needs to be retarded.

Load bbMPEG and multiplex the video and audio streams (see
http://www.vcdhelp.com/ for info on how to do this, as it's not
obvious), but put in the offset for audio that you calculated. The
default is always 180 so if audio was +20 then increment the counter
to 380 (why because the counter is in milliseconds and not
hundredths). If it was a negative number then subtract.

BTW you will have to pick a good sample as audio does drift
occasionally through the stream. I've been told that 15 milliseconds
either side is sufficient for visual synch. And I can confirm that.

When the MPEG streams have been multiplexed you should see that they
are in near perfect synch.** Note that ONLY once have I found this not
to work, and my audio was 2 whole seconds out (so I had to guess the
values to synch it). If you need to do this then I'd advice making a 2
minute clip and using that to find your offsets, by simply
re-multiplexing with new values until you target in on that elusive synch.

Now you're ready to edit out the adverts or to alter the MPEG2 file to
DVD compatibility.You need to use TMPGenc and the MPEG tools section
for cut out the adverts and create seperate .mpg files that you can
merge (using the same tool) to produce one .mpg again. Next you need
to make it DVD compliant (or SVCD, VCD or XVCD) **note that this may
involve reencoding MPEG2 to MPEG1 for VCD.

I CHEATED here, by using neoDVD which reads in an MPEG2 and
reprocesses it and spits it out in a DVD compatible MPEG2 format.
Ulead DVD Workshop does the same (can't get the trial to startup on my
machine) and Ulead DVD Movie Machine (sp??), but this didn't appear to
like some of my MPEGs. Some utilities require you to have split .m2v
and .m2a streams to process while others will accept a multiplexed MPEG.

The pure way to do it is to use a tool like TMPGenc or Re-MPEG to
reencode the MPEG to DVD resolution (that's if you need to). As for
audio, well there's a few packages like Goldwave that'll do it (and I
think bbMPEG too, though don't quote me see http://www.vcdhelp.com/).

After a week of fiddling I gave up because the apps that I used like
DVDit, fell over when they came to process the audio or complained
that the GOP (Group of Pictures) records should be preceded by a
sequence header. I never found a solution and as for SpruceUP it just
didn't like the files at all.

Anyway, I now have my first DVD with 3 Quantum Leap episodes of around
45 minutes each. These take up 1.3GB each on the DVD.

I played around with encoding SVCD, VCD and XVCD and was able to
produce watchable episodes, but the ghosting/motion-blur was very
noticable. For 45 minutes I could only push the bitrate to as high as
1800 on XVCD for an 80 Minute CD. BTW I used TMPGenc to create the
VCD, SVCD and XVCD files (TMPGenc templates for these are also
available on http://www.vcdhelp.com/).

I also used Nero to author the (XS)VCD disk. Unfortunately my Sony
doesn't play SVCD, so I never really saw how well it looked on a TV
screen.

Maybe you'll have better luck or someone else can take it from there.

** I hope this is clear, as I wasn't exactly doing linear editing when
writing this :-)

Best of Luck.

John