Have a tivo and need to get Tivoftpd in it.

kriscomach biskupiec at h...
Tue, 21 May 2002 23:45:47 -0000

thank you for replying.
Okay the system I have is windows 2000.I like the way you explained
it to me. But can you tell me exactly like point 1,2,3... please.
What else I did is I got extractstream in to my tivo with zmodem. Can
you tell me how I can send it throw com port to the tivo. and do I
need to open up any ports. I think I need to huck it up to com1 or
com2. thanks and I would like to use the tivo 2.5 version and not go
to the 1.3. Thanks again for replying.
bye.

--- In ExtractStream@y..., Marc Lavergne <mlavergn-pub@r...> wrote:
> You can't "downgrade" a TiVo without losing everything. The reason
is
> that the MFS objects (not file system) are modified with each
version
> upgrade. It's doable, but you have to start with a clean slate
again.
> Distributing the TiVo 1.3 software would be a copyright violation.
What
> I would suggest is that you buy an old hard drive from an HDR112 on
ebay
> with 1.3 on it (regardless ... you should always have a backup
image
> handy before you start hacking ... hint hint). It's your call if
you
> want to do this. You'll also need to prevent TiVo from updating the
TiVo
> software after you get it installed. This is a trivial hack (only
works
> on 1.3 ... sorry 2.5'ers) that involves changing a few file write
flags.
> I don't have the specific instructions handy (you need to edit the
> upgrade flag in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit) but they're posted on AVS
forum
> somewhere:
>
> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8
>
> As for shows disappearing, I don't know. Sorry.
>
> To get tivoftpd on your TiVo you have a few choices. A) pull the
disk
> out of your TiVo and plug it into your PC then use a boot disk
utility
> to put the file on your TiVo drive -or- B) use the TiVo built in
> http_get client to pull the file off your personal webserver.
> Personally, I'd bzip2 the tivoftpd file and fetch it from the TiVo
using
> http_get. Sneak a peek in the /tvbin directory on your TiVo to find
this
> file. You could also send it over using SZ/RZ via the serial port -
or-
> uuencode it and send it plain text, but B above beats these in a
heartbeat.

> What you use to download files is a matter of platform and
preference. I
> only run Linux and I think PlayItSam is the best:
>
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/Programs/Playitsam/README.html
>
> If you run Windoze, hang around, that is a real common theme on
this
> mailing list. Now where's my Labatt's 50? ;-)
>
> Cheers!
>
> kriscomach wrote:
>
> > Thanks for Replying!
> > Okay I have a TivoNet card and I bought it from 9thtee. and the
> > Version of Tivo I have on my Philips is 2.5. Can you tell me how
> > update to a older version like 1.3. and can you tell me how you
> > sended your tivoftpd to the tivo(how and with what and
direction).
> > and tell me step by step because other users maybe in the same
> > situation? Can you explain this to me how come the shows that I
have
> > on tivo disappear after a few weeks I have on my tivo. that
sucks. Is
> > there a way I can prevent from deleting my shows even if I have
them
> > saved on the tivo for a mounth or longer? After this can you tell
me
> > what kind of program you use to get your files from tivo? and
what
> > directory do you download the file? I know they are like
> > extention .ty something like that?
> > thanks you again guys.
> > bye.
> >
> > --- In ExtractStream@y..., Marc Lavergne <mlavergn-pub@r...>
wrote:

> >>This depends on alot of factors. Do you have a TurboNet or
TivoNet

> > card?
> >
> >>What version of the TiVo software are you on? Here's the best
> >>
> > places to
> >
> >>start:
> >>
> >>http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm
> >>http://tivo.samba.org
> >>
> >>If you don't have a Turbo/TivoNet card, that is step one ...
order