[Extractstream [mailman]] So near and yet so far

TivoMerch tivo at 30below.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:02:25 -0400

At 14:56 10/18/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>sendstream 0.2 seems to pull the correct tyStream (very very slowly, I'm
>dumping it via NFS) but when I use splitstream I end up with a massive
>badchunk.ty file, and only about 10secs of video of a half hour show.

Short answer: don't use NFS. Use netcat (nc).  More info on how to use
netcat is at my site: http://tivo.30below.com/zmerch

Long answer: if you *have* to use nfs, there are command line switches that
you can use to improve the data xfer speeds greatly (no switches usually
nets 300kbyte/sec -- with switches usually gets you 750-850kbyte/sec...
altho I usually get 950-1000kbyte/sec thru netcat)...

Also, have you tried vsplit? It works very well on streams that splitstream
seems to barf on...

>Has anyone got this working with large disks in a Linux only
>environment?

My Netcat instructions will work fine in Linux, altho I do all my video
work on Win2K. However, the TMPGEnc instructions & whatnot won't stretch
nearly as well... :-(

>Many many thanks for any help, or I'm going to have to start deleting
>stuff :(

Yea, that always does suck... :-/

Anyway, HTH!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger