[SA-exim] small requests

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue, 28 May 2002 22:53:44 -0700

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 10:43:02PM -0400, Patrice Fournier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally installed SA-exim. Now, it seems to work great (we'll see in the
> next couple of days! :) ). Here are some enhancements I'd like to see:

Welcome to the club Patrice :-)

> - SA-exim should create the required directories (SApermreject, ...) when
> it has the rights to OR it should be written in the config file that the
> directory must already exist.

Mmmh, it's actually hard.
The reason is that it runs as UID/GID mail or exim or whatever, and that
user is typically not allowed to create directories in /var/spool

> Now, here's the reason for this mail:
>
> - Should log rejects in the rejectlog as well as in the mainlog.

Yep, does that :)

> - When rejecting mail, should (be able to) log the connected host IP and
> the sender and recipients addresses as Exim won't do it.

Mmmh, I'll add that to the wishlist.
Mainlog, rejectlog or both?

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 01:53:33AM -0400, Patrice Fournier wrote:
> So anyway, I did a quick scan of local_scan.c and couldn't find where this
> was written to log, do you get the complete (new) headers in exim spool
> format of a spam in rejectlog when there is a permreject? How would one
> disable this?

See the bottom of the code
/*
To ask Philip:
1) read/use return_text on 2xx
2) optional LOCAL_SCAN_REJECT without triggering  a full dump of the rejected
   headers so that I can return a different message than what I log
3) I need to  return '\n' in return_text, but it  gets logged, and log_write
   isn't supposed to get newlines... See #2
*/

When I return LOCAL_SCAN_REJECT, exim dumps the message. I can't turn it off
or control it.

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 10:53:57AM -0500, dman wrote:
> When local_scan returns LOCAL_SCAN_REJECT, exim logs the message in
> rejectlog.  The SA headers are present because Marc added them to the
> message before returning the reject code.
>
> | How would one disable this?
>
> I don't know if it can be disabled without rewriting (part of) exim.

Yep.

Thanks for helping dman :-)