[SA-exim] feature request? change default sa-exim.conf location

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Fri Aug 22 19:50:54 PDT 2003

Marc MERLIN wrote:

> That's where it is, at least on systems that put exim ocnfig files in /etc/exim4
> (Debian) :)
> It's a compilation option, so you can change it.

I haven't divulged this to this list yet, but I compiled Exim 4.22 and
SA-Exim 3.1. Did it on highly modified RH Linux 7.2. Everything works
beautifully.

To do so, I had to follow (more or less exactly and to the letter,
before even starting,) Marc's SA-Exim README and INSTALL. I really also
had to have a wealth of experience in compiling and installing
Exim/eximon at all. I found that I had to patch Exim 4.22 src with
Marc's dlopen patch, 'diff -u', check and patch my previous Exim
Local/Makefile with my new EDITME, check the new Exim Makefile, edit the
SA-Exim Makefile and change the default locations, change file names and
more. I also had to 'diff -u', check and patch my old spamassassin.conf
with my new sa-exim.conf.patch.

The thing is, Unix should not expect things to happen "automagically".
GNU spoils people with autoconfig, libtools etc. Unix expects that Unix
people should know what they are doing. Hard but true. There are always
courses: LPI for Debian people, Red Hat for Red Hat people, Sun for
Solaris people, (SCO used to have courses for SCO people but SCO blew
it,) etc.

Marc is already doing his essing best. If one does what he
writes/recommends, everything ought to work.

Ha det,
--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw

Looking backwards is always easy with hindsight

http://www.billy.demon.nl
Mail: tonni at billy.demon.nl