[SA-exim] How to apply localscan_dlopen.patch ?

Jonathan Vanasco jvanasco at mastersofbranding.com
Tue May 27 10:42:04 PDT 2003

Okay, I'll go into a little more detail (about the docs in general).
I'm used to the ./configure with vars if needed, edit Makefiles, make
test, make install

Building

What exactly is the correct build order for the following?

1) Unpack exim 4.11 or better, and overwrite src/local_scan.c with
    sa-exim-x.y.c. Rebuild exim, and you're done.
    Note that if you do this, you are responsible for modifying variables
    in sa-exim.c that would normally have been modified by the Makefile.
    ====
There doesn't seem to be any sa-exim-x.y.c file -- i'm guessing either
i use the sa-exim.c file as-is,  or there is some compile step i don't
know of.  i'll lean towards a compile step i dont know of because I get
errors spouting for sa-exim.h header file.  according to mailing list
archives there's a make step involved in getting that file, which was
ommitted from docs -- but I've got the file in the same directory just
sitting there.

In any event, this step seems to be needed before a ./configure make
make_install for exim itself.  (or does this happen between ./configure
and make?)

2) The better solution is to patch exim with localscan_dlopen.patch
originally
    from David Woodhouse (provided in this archive), and rebuild exim.
    After that you can edit EXIM_SRC in the Makefile and build
sa-exim-x.y.so
    I have however modified the build environment so that you can now
build
    sa-exim without having the exim sources.

Now how exactly is the patch file applied?

looking at its contents with:
	diff -urN exim-4.14-0/src/EDITME exim-4.14-1/src/EDITME
	--- exim-4.14-0/src/EDITME	Tue Mar 11 04:20:18 2003
	+++ exim-4.14-1/src/EDITME	Sun Mar 23 15:34:15 2003
	@@ -388,6 +388,20
I understand that the lines marked + in the following section
correspond to lines starting at 388 on exim-4.14-1/src/EDITME - which
becomes Local/Makefile.  so that, i can apply that by hand (though i'd
be willing to bet there is some automated way)

then i find things like
diff -urNad 50_localscan_dlopen.tmp/src/config.h.defaults
50_localscan_dlopen/src/config.h.defaults
--- 50_localscan_dlopen.tmp/src/config.h.defaults      Sun Dec 29
11:55:42 2002
+++ 50_localscan_dlopen/src/config.h.defaults  Sun Dec 29 11:56:44 2002

which I can't find a corresponding directory/file for
50_localscan_dlopen.tmp -- just a src/config.h.defaults under the exim
folder -- but that seems named correctly elsewhere in this file

all this makes me think that some make action happened along the ways
already.

what/when/where?  i can't figure that out.

i also can't figure out if this requires an exim rebuild or not --
considering the changes to exim source, I'd imagine it does -- which
makes me wonder what, if any, difference is between the 2 methods.  the
first method seems far simpler from my standpoint right now.

again, any help would be greatly appreciated