[SA-exim] sa-exim with Exim4 + Debian (Sarge)

Sander Smeenk ssmeenk at freshdot.net
Thu Apr 29 16:13:46 PDT 2004

Quoting Dickenson, Steven (sdickenson at keyschool.org):

> > Of course, now there is the small problem that the INSTALL file isn't
> > shipped with the sa-exim deb package :(
> I think the bigger problem is that the sa-exim Debian package doesn't write
> this line to the monolithic Exim file itself.

Packages are not allowed to modify configuration files, especially not
configuration files from other packages. Atleast, that is what I was told.

I'm not sure about the situation now, but when I installed the exim4
packages, I couldn't choose wether I wanted a single monolithic
configuration file, or a split config, so it was a deliberate choice of
myself to put /etc/exim4/exim4.conf in place and ingore the conf.d/*
structure.

I thought about adding a little check to see if /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
exists, and if so, wether or not local_scan_path was configured
correctly.  If not, print out a warning or send a message or something.

> When using the split configuration (my preference) it drops
> 15_sa-exim_plugin_path into /etc/exim4/conf.d/main, although I believe
> it's commented out.

It's not commented out.
It's active, but sa-exim.conf has SARunCond: 0 which is somewhat the same ;)

> The reason INSTALL files aren't included is because the Debian package
> is supposed to handle the INSTALL itself.  ;)

And it does. It just doesn't change configuration files from other
packages, like it should :)

Regards,
Sander.