[SA-exim] sa-exim with Exim4 + Debian (Sarge)

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Apr 29 14:52:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:16:59PM +0200, 'Sander Smeenk' wrote:
> Quoting Dickenson, Steven (sdickenson at keyschool.org):
>
> > I built my own Debian package of sa-exim (for Woody) using Marc's
> > source tree.  It placed the single 15_sa-exim_plugin_path file into
> > the conf.d structure.  Not sure if your package does that.
>
> Mine does exactly that, since I use Marc's tree with only some very
> minor adjustments.
>
> > You can determine what type of configuration is being used by reading the
> > value of dc_use_split_config from /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.
>
> Hmm, mine says dc_use_split_config='true', but I have a monolithic
> config in /etc/exim4/exim4.conf. I'm not sure how this is possible.

My understanding is that if you use the split config, the monolithic
file is assembled from it each time you start exim.  So everyone will
have the file, but people will differ in whether it is the "master."

I believe one of the intents of the split configuration was to make it easy
for other packages to add their own modifications to the
configuration.  I'm also pretty sure that doing so would not be a
violation of Debian policy, while writing directly to exim4.conf
(which exim-config owns) would be.

Ross