[SA-exim] SA-Exim on Debian stable?

Adam D. Barratt sa-exim at adam-barratt.org.uk
Mon Jun 14 23:36:45 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 21:12, Chirik wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Brian Lavender wrote:
>
> > I see that stable is using exim 3.35 from security, so I take it I am
> > going to have to grab the exim 4 package as well?
>
>   You will have to grab the Exim 4 package from unstable or testing.

Erm... no you don't -
http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/exim4manpages/woody/

> It'll require some dependencies also be backported, but for the most part,
> this is straight forward.  The biggest issue I had was that OpenLDAP is
> difficult to update, and exim requires it to build exim-daemon-heavy,

Why bother backporting it? Yes, the LDAP libraries are needed, but due
to the magic of Debian's shlibs system, the packages will be linked
against the version of the libraries on the system they're built on.

Take a look at the dependencies for exim4-daemon-heavy in Andreas'
repository, for instance - the version of libldap2 they depend upon is
actually *older* than that on an up-to-date woody system (3.0r2).

The only things you will need backports of if you use them are dpatch
and gnutls, and they're also available from Andreas' site.

>   I'm pretty sure that you'll need to either recompile to use Exim 4 on
> stable, or do a significant upgrade.  I personally recompile everything.

Nope. You can recompile if you want (we do, but for other reasons), but
in most cases Andreas has already saved you the trouble.

Adam